Hi everyone, and welcome to our candidate chats! My name is Anna Temel, and I’ll be hosting the candidate side today. On the audience/open_chat side, your host will be briar_pipe. We’re both members of the Elections Committee.
Hi everyone, and welcome to our candidate chats! My name is briar_pipe, and I’ll be hosting the candidate side today. On the audience/open_chat side, your host will be Pat Z. Pat and I are both members of the Elections Committee.
This year, we’re switching chat platforms from Campfire to Discord.
There are several reasons for this change, including larger server capacity, ability for participants to see when others are typing and view the chat history from before they entered the room, a more user-friendly interface that includes direct messaging, and a more reliable mobile experience.
Chats will be held in the Elections Discord server from 13:00-14:30, Thursday, Sept. 1, and 22:00-23:30, Saturday, Sept. 10. To find out what times those will be in your location, click the dates to be taken to a time-zone converter. Please note that though the link to the chat server is already active, chatting capabilities will not be enabled until approximately one hour before the chats begin.
Topics for the first chat will be as follows; topics for the second chat have not yet been chosen.
- expanding members’ awareness about and engagement in OTW
- what staff/volunteers need from board
- maintaining volunteer engagement
- accountability and checks/balances
- board meeting format/communication
- role of OTW in fandom and outside world
- fostering work culture in communities (if time allows)
- role of volunteers in future decision-making of the org (if time allows)
Read on to learn more about using Discord.