2011 Initial Board Candidate Chat Follow-Up

The 2011 Board candidate chat ended with questions pending — both a follow-up to earlier responses, and a queue of emailed questions submitted by OTW members, volunteers, and staff that had grown throughout the live chat period. Those questions were delivered to the candidates following the close of the chat, and they were asked to submit answers within twenty-four hours (before 01:00am UTC 19 October 2011) so that those responses could be publicly posted. Responses are posted in the order that they were received by the OTW Elections officer.

In a follow-up to the question What specific, concrete things does each candidate intend to work on while on the Board, and which of those will be their main focus?, Naomi and Betsy were asked, in relation to their answers, Any concrete steps within that, or how do you plan to achieve it? (This question was re-opened optionally to all candidates.)

Betsy Rosenblatt
Response received 19 October 2011 04:44 UTC. Added to document 19 October 2011 14:10 UTC.

I was asked to follow up on my response to the question about specific things I intended to work on while on the board. My initial answer (abridged) was that, in addition to being a “utility player” where needed, I intend to work on maintaining and growing the organization’s position as a public voice for transformative works, to keep the Board’s eye on legal advocacy risks and opportunities, and growing the organization’s profile outside fandom (such as maintaining our alliances with other advocacy organizations, scholars, and the like). To answer the follow-up question: I am active in intellectual property scholarship and academic circles, I keep aware of legal developments relevant to the organization’s mission, and I am active in the work for, or friendly with colleagues who are active in the work for, organizations with missions consistent with ours (such as the EFF and the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund). As a Board member, I would bring that awareness and (dare I use the word) synergy to the group.

In addition to my initial answer, I also agreed with Naomi that (to paraphrase), among the specific things I wanted to work for on the board was making the board work smoothly and collaboratively to facilitate the work of the organization without getting in the way of the organization’s overall ability to be flexible and get things done. I suspect this was the real point to which the follow-up question was really directed. I have to break my answer down into two parts – first, about making the board work smoothly and collaboratively, and second about allowing the board to facilitate the work of the organization without getting in the way of the organization’s overall ability to be flexible and get things done.

As for the first, I have every reason to think that the board is a smooth and collaborative body already, and I want to slide right in to that spirit. I’ve been on a lot of boards and committees over the course of my career, including for nonprofits, for my former firm, and for my school. I feel comfortable with the flexibility and balance required to make a board run smoothly. That includes offering the benefit of my experience in my areas of expertise, offering creative suggestions in areas outside my expertise…and knowing when someone else knows more than me on a given topic!

As for the second, I think it’s mostly a matter of management philosophy: as the OTW grows, the board can’t be involved in every operational detail, but has to set larger-scale policies and be available to provide guidance at all times. That means listening to the membership, being in close contact with committees, coming up with initiatives, setting priorities, resolving larger-scale issues…and delegating a lot of material – especially implementation and operational decision-making—to the organization’s amazing committees.

Lucy Pearson
Response received 19 October 2011 14:07 UTC. Added to document 19 October 2011 14:18 UTC.

In terms of preventing burnout and mentoring staffers, I see my role as Board liaison as crucial. I am bringing a lot of experience of working within the org to the table, which will help me support committee chairs and other staffers. As someone who has received really brilliant mentoring from several Board members (Allison Morris, Naomi Novik, Francesca Coppa, Hele Braunstein…) I really passionately believe that a close and supportive relationship between Board members and chairs is one of the most important things for the health of the org. If a chair feels secure and supported, and they have someone to turn to for advice, they’re able to support their staffers in turn, so there’s an effective trickle-down. Good policies help a lot, but there’s no replacement for that personal element.

In terms of raising the profile of the org: communications! I will talk about this more in my answer about transparency, because I think that covers a lot of the important points for me.

Naomi Novik
Response received 19 October 2011 14:50 UTC. Added to document 19 October 2011 15:10 UTC.

In the chat I said:

From a pragmatic perspective, my number one aim is to have a productive and effective Board, where we facilitate the work of the org without getting in the way — there are a lot of different projects and priorities and for the health of the org we need Board to be a place where those priorities can get worked out in a collaborative way, where we can be a team that comes together and works through the conflicts created by the limits on our resources, both human and otherwise.

And a couple of the other candidates asked how we do that, specifically, so here’s my wildly long list of my bullet points for an effective virtual team. There are some basic practical ones and some that are more about ideal team composition:

Don’t argue in email. If an email exchange starts to turn into an argument, stop and take it to a live chat, or even skyping. Whenever a discussion begins to get tense, you want more immediacy, more back-and-forth, and more information in your communication medium.

Don’t leave a discussion angry. Even if the way you wrap up is to say, OK, it’s late, let’s put this aside to mull on until next meeting and let’s talk about something else or our latest fanfic/cats/babies for five minutes before we leave, try and don’t end on a sour note.

Having people who are good at recognizing when a discussion is getting tense, and stopping and stepping back from it in the heat of the moment, and getting the team as a whole to reconsider it in a bigger context. This may seem obvious, but anyone who has been in a heated discussion online can probably recognize that it is not as easy as it sounds. (Lucy P was great at doing this on ADT.)

Having people with varying points of passion, so that there are always a couple of people on any particular issue who don’t really care that much.

If there aren’t people who are naturally inclined to step back, then whoever chairs the discussion should explicitly take on the responsibility of forcing themselves to do the stepping back.

Having imaginative people. It is really rare in my experience for an argument to truly be a zero-sum situation. Almost always there is a different solution that will give people on both sides of the argument much of what they want. The hard part is imagining up that different solution. It does to some extent depend on knowing the options so experience/education (technical, legal, etc) is also helpful.

Don’t get bogged down in principle. The end goal is that some concrete thing is going to happen or not-happen — a tool gets built, a server gets bought, a fundraising drive runs, a post gets made. Principles guide those decisions, but when an argument starts to be *about* principles, stop and bring it back to the concrete.

Associated with that, recognize fundamental differences and don’t have the same fight over and over. Instead, try and have people with different principles work out their respective concrete goals or spheres of influence, what their priorities are, and do some horse trading.

Don’t let discussion go too long. If you get stuck in a hole, can’t come up with a better solution, can’t seem to step back, and everyone keeps getting angry, then just end the misery. Set an end point for the discussion, frame the core options, and just vote. Even if you don’t “win”, you all get out alive. (As a bonus, I have often found that venting the pressure by doing this often unlocks the creativity to suddenly come up with a new better solution.)

Remember things are rarely set in stone. If something really doesn’t work well and continues to make people unhappy, it can be changed. If people are really unhappy, pick two options, set a timeframe to try the first one and come back and review, at which point possibly switch to try the other.

How do you see Fanlore growing, and what do you see as your role in furthering that growth both in terms of scope but also in terms of increased fannish participation?

Jenny Scott-Thompson

I see it growing to be a main reference point for and about fandom. I’ve seen it being used by journalists and academics outside fandom as a reference, and by fans either as a reference or as a safe place to document our history. I see it growing to a wider audience, both within and outside fandom, and I see my role as advocating that by making sure it gets the profile and focus it needs, not getting swallowed up by larger or louder projects within the OTW.

Julia Beck

Fanlore! \o/ Ahem. I’d like to say that at most I can suggest things to wikimmettee and support them in what they plan to do. But it’s their purview, they’re the ones putting in the work, and I need to respect that.

That said, two sides to Fanlore growth: first, increase Fanlore participation in the communities we are already reaching. Second, introduce Fanlore to groups we’re not reaching yet (i.e. outreach.). I’ll focus on the first, b/c that’s where we can start off right away.

To the first, the existing editors are key. I would like to thank Doro from the wikimmettee for opening my eyes to that. We have amazingly invested people who have a very good understanding of and passion for Fanlore who don’t fit into OTW’s usual volunteer/staffer scheme. And we need to give them places to build a community, to draw others in and keep them there. It’s why I’m so adamant about forums. They’re not a cure-all, but editors need to be able to connect and plan in a stable, asynchronous place, and the Fanlore DW community is not that place. (If you want my tl;dr thoughts on that: http://fanlore.dreamwidth.org/42832.html?thread=410960#cmt410960 (I’m the one with the 12:30 timestamp.)

What also helps grow communities is giving them support, so more Fanlore Open houses (hosted chats) would be ace.

In terms of scope: I think we need to find a way to reconcile the encyclopaedic nature of Fanlore (with citations and all) and its oral history part. Both are equally important, but wikis are not a format conducive to recording oral history, so I’d like to help make that clearer.

Nikisha Sanders

I admit I’m still learning about the scope and possibilities of Fanlore. I’ve fallen into the trap of interacting primarily with AO3 and not as many of our other visible projects. That said, I see Fanlore as a project that needs serious boosting in terms of visibility. We need to remind our members and fandom at large that it’s there, first, and I think we can accomplish that by first making sure all of our board, staff and volunteers are encouraged to contribute. Whether it’s through editing an entry, adding a new bit of information, or posting to one’s blog or journal about Fanlore, we all should be doing something toward building the visibility of the project. A targeted month of promotion would be my second suggestion, possibly in conjunction with the next membership drive, where we invite people to donate to support Fanlore and to explore the pages already there as well as adding to them as a proactive act of membership.

Naomi Novik
Response received 19 October 2011 02:58 UTC. Added to document 19 October 2011 15:00 UTC.

My main contribution to Fanlore over the next few years would mostly be to serve as a resource on the practical technical front: when do we need more server power, how is MediaWiki serving the team and the users, what could we do to improve the user interface and automate routine tasks, etc.

Betsy Rosenblatt
Response received 19 October 2011 04:44 UTC. Added to document 19 October 2011 14:10 UTC.

Fanlore is a source of endless information and an educational resource for me! I can get lost in there. But I know my enthusiasm doesn’t exactly answer the question –nor does the fact that “add material to Fanlore” is currently on my to-do list. But the fact that it’s on my to-do list does say something about how I see Fanlore continuing to grow. Fanlore grows organically as people learn about it, use it, and are reminded of just how much is in there (and how much isn’t, yet!). I think the wiki committee has done an excellent job recently of reminding and encouraging fans to contribute on topics they might not even have known were included; I love the Wish List, as well. Of course, more is always possible. I’d like to see outreach to specific fandom communities, to the extent possible.

Lucy Pearson
Response received 19 October 2011 14:07 UTC. Added to document 19 October 2011 14:18 UTC.

I haven’t been closely involved with Fanlore, so I’d be very much governed by the needs and direction of the wiki committee. I think that one of the core aspects of being a Board member is being able to be responsive to specialists within the org and to let them take the lead, because they have a better sense of what will work for their particular project. (A good example of this is the establishment of the Fanlore Dreamwidth – usually we try to have communications originate from within org tools, but the Fanlore team made the call that they could better serve the needs of the wiki by making DW a primary focus for their community.)

Beyond that, I would like to see Fanlore continue to grow and to reflect more voices from across different areas of fandom. I definitely see this as a marathon, not a sprint, but I think the great work the wiki team have put into ensuring that a range of fannish topics are represented at least in a skeleton fashion is really important: if someone stumbles on the wiki, they’re less likely to find that their fandom is not mentioned at all and therefore to think that they’re not wanted. I think that now some of this groundwork has been laid, Fanlore is well-placed for some more promotion, so as a Board member I’d be looking to support more communication and signal-boosting about the project, both on the blog and in-person (for example, producing con materials to help people talk about Fanlore and get excited about it at cons). I’d also like to create connections within the org to see whether different committees can help one another: I’ve seen the Fanlore community come up with some neat technical innovation to make the experience of posting to the wiki easier, and I’d like to facilitate chats between Wiki and other technical committees such as AD&T to see how we can build on that work.

What do you say when asked ‘What does the OTW do?’

Jenny Scott-Thompson

A lot of things! It’s a legal advocacy organisation for transformative works by fans, with a mission to protect and preserve access to fanworks and our history, shown by our flagship open-source projects AO3 and Fanlore and the academic journal Transformative Works & Cultures.

Julia Beck

Heh, depends on who I talk to! To non-fans, I say that it’s an international, unique, female-dominated open source/open culture project-slash-lobbying group that’s both building tools and advocating for a specific subculture centered around storytelling. I also stress the emancipatory politics inherent in that. And that we’re unspeakably awesome, of course. To fans — well, usually it’s “the organization that builds the AO3/Fanlore”, but then I can go into more depth (excitingly panfandom, entirely fan-run, owning the servers! doin’ it for ourselves!).

Nikisha Sanders

I love this question because I just had to answer it for a dear friend. I told her that we, broadly, work with fans to protect the right to creating transformative works—fan fiction, videos, meta essays, anything exploring the movies, TV shows, books, anime, etc that we enjoy. We work on several fronts, from working on legal challenges (I usually give an example of YouTube yanking fanvids here, or Anne Rice prohibiting fanfic), to creating an archive run by fans for fans to collect fiction from a variety of places. The project I always make a point of discussing is the physical archive and working to collect tangible materials from fans, artifacts, really, because most of the people I tell about OTW are from anthropology backgrounds and archives to sift through excite them (and me). Usually, from there, I talk about our structure, that we have *no* paid staff, we’re all volunteers, and cover well over a dozen committee areas with staff from around the world, many of whom work to translate our sites into languages other than English. My answer from there depends on my audience; with Charlotte, the dear friend, we started getting into the specifics of how we function as a nonprofit and why it was important to incorporate that way and what it means to have literal fan buy-in. Other conversations have focused on the academic journal and the kinds of topics we get into when fans produce meta, and others have directly to explaining how someone can join as a member and/or volunteer.

Naomi Novik
Response received 19 October 2011 02:58 UTC. Added to document 19 October 2011 15:00 UTC.

I’m still keen on the mission statement: providing access to and preserving the history of fanworks and fan culture in its myriad forms. I also like the description I’ve heard others say, that the OTW does this by putting together a big toolbox for fans to help them help themselves to do it in a variety of ways, as opposed to trying to force everyone to do it in one particular way.

Betsy Rosenblatt
Response received 19 October 2011 04:44 UTC. Added to document 19 October 2011 14:10 UTC.

Great question! The answer depends on who I’m talking to – for those who are looking for places to find great fanfic, I send them to the AO3; for those who are looking for fandom resources I send them to Fanlore; for those with a scholarly bent I send them to Transformative Works and Cultures…and so on…But here’s the “logline” that I tell most people: The Organization for Transformative works is an amazing community, archive, online resource, and legal advocacy organization for creators and appreciators of all kinds of fan-created works.

Lucy Pearson
Response received 19 October 2011 14:07 UTC. Added to document 19 October 2011 14:18 UTC.

Big question, and one that I have been answering a lot recently. In a fannish context, I tend to start by saying ‘We’re the people that built AO3 and Fanlore!’ and then broaden out to talk about the other projects and the way they all fit together, for example how Open Doors is a way of preserving earlier fannish culture and the Legal team pursues issues which affect fans and strengthens our ability to make the AO3 a safe place for fans, because it has legal backup.

I’m often answering it in a non-fannish context, in which cade I have to start with a brief primer of fannish history! In that context, I start by introducing it as a non-profit organisation dedicated to representing fans and protecting fannish creativity. I also tend to emphasise the connection between this mission and the way that historically, female creativity has often been overlooked or appropriated by men; for example, how the way the novel was shaped by a female discourse was until recently often ignored.

In both contexts, I also talk about the way that the OTW is an awesomely empowering forum for fannish skillsharing, and how that has enabled fans to achieve things they might not have been able to do alone. I highlight the fact that the AO3 is one of the largest female-majority open-source projects in existence, and the work of committees across the org as a way of giving people new skills and experiences. At this point I usually pause for breath and realise that people are backing away from the crazy gushing lady. 😉

What would you do to increase the OTW’s transparency to fandom at large, particularly people who aren’t currently staff? Concrete policies, please. What, if anything, have you done while serving as a staffer to promote transparency?

Jenny Scott-Thompson

I could talk for hours about transparency! It’s been a concern of mine since I first joined as a volunteer, and couldn’t see what was going on behind closed doors with the committees. I was the first candidate to start a legal-name journal for posting about my OTW work, and have previously posted about my work under my fannish name, both on my personal journal and on the official OTW blog. I’ve been doing the AD&T minutes (which are visible to all volunteers) for most of the year, enabling Lucy to post the Archive of Our Own meeting roundups publicly. I’ve also made several internal proposals about transparency, which I can’t really talk about until they’re agreed, ironically. I made the recent suggestion for staffers joining and leaving to be acknowledged in the monthly newsletter. I’d also like to make the OTW less “faceless” – let people see who is behind the anonymous committee names. Volunteers & Recruiting committee have some great plans for this currently being discussed, which I would support. I would also continue both posting to my journal, and working with Communications to get more public “Spotlight” posts and things like that. I’d facilitate the discussion currently ongoing around org-wide meetings and monthly newsletters, and how we can use those to improve communication, both top-down announcements and two-way feedback. One concrete step would be to make sure each committee does have something in the newsletter, even if it’s only “Still not sued!” The habit of having something there pays off as people writing it remember that actually there is more to talk about. I’ve also run public training sessions/open houses, and I’d like to continue and expand those – it’s a great way to let people see what goes on behind the scenes. There is a concern, of course, that communicating what you are doing takes time away from doing the work, but in most cases I think it more than pays off, partly because accountability makes for a healthier org, and partly for recruitment – people will only volunteer if they know what they’re getting into. I’m also looking forward to the website changes when we upgrade the software that transformativeworks.org runs on next year – that will be a good opportunity to make sure that all the currently public information is easily findable – there’s more there than most people realise.

Julia Beck

What I did/am doing as a staffer for transparency, concrete steps:

To fandom at large: support the return of the Spotlight series and the Open Houses initiative (Helka, my former IO colleague, headed both), lobby for Fanlore forums, make sure to invite non-OTW people as advisors wherever appropriate (make the decision process more permeable, in a way), comm-wise: advocate for criticism to be met respectfully, not shut down, & with my committee, review projects & blog posts to make sure they include an international perspective.

Internal & external to the OTW: initiated & headed the OTW community survey (coming soon!). This is something that’s meant both as a basis for outreach and as an evaluation. Results will be shared with fandom at large. (it’s going to be so interesting omg.)

Internal to the OTW: lobbied for internal forums, initiated Translators’ Newsletter within Translation cmt, and connect people across committees where I could (like a head’s up “look, xy is working on/interested in that too, you should team up.”). Trying to foster an open and respectful culture.

Nikisha Sanders

My first project as a prospective board member, and as the incoming Finance Committee chair is clarifying for our board how we can more effectively create budgets for our committees and projects. From there, I’ll be working with Fincom to provide monthly reports to the board with more explicitly detailed breakdowns of monthly expenses and income, and I intend to work with the board to ensure every board member has the basic accounting and financial management skills to step in to work closely with Fincom and/or fill the role of Treasurer for a short time in case of emergency. Along with the highly detailed monthly reports, I’ll be working to make sure a simplified version of those reports are available on our website for member review, and with the agreement of the board, provide the detailed statements by request. I would also create a detailed statement quarterly for the membership/general public.

Away from the finance issues that are near and dear to me, I would like to see committee meeting notes made available beyond staff and volunteer access. I understand that some issues need to be discussed internally and kept confidential, but I also think we could be doing a much, much better job communicating with our membership base. Keeping everyone informed not only of what committees have done (via the newsletter) but what is on the horizon is key to that, and in order to accomplish that, we need to strengthen our Communications Committee. We also need to make clearer the avenues for passing on information internally and externally, starting, perhaps, with a clean up of the contact information on the website, making sure all of the contacts are current and that staff are responsive in a timely manner.

Additionally, a work group is currently being formed to encourage Open Houses for each committee, an informal chat in the public room on basecamp where each committee would be available for questions. I think that is a huge step forward in getting information out, but we can go farther still as individuals. I would encourage staff to talk more openly about the work they’re doing in their own spaces, journals, blogs, etc, and invite discussion in those spaces.

As a staffer, I haven’t done a great job of promoting transparency. I admit it, and I believe part of it comes from the area of the organization in which I’ve worked. Fincom is more insulated than other committees from both public interaction and interaction with other committees. We aren’t interdependent in the way International Outreach, Translation and Communications are, for example, and while it doesn’t excuse my own lack of outreach, it is part of the foundation for it. I’m working to turn that around now with simple networking, having a lot of one-on-one conversations with other volunteers, staff, board members and committee chairs to get a fuller view of the state of the organization internally and externally, and I plan to continue doing so through next term and as a board member. I think the single biggest step towards transparency we can take is through building up trust between our leadership to create safe spaces to challenge each other over organizational issues and to be able to reveal those challenges to our membership in a way that doesn’t harm the organization.

Naomi Novik
Response received 19 October 2011 02:58 UTC. Added to document 19 October 2011 15:00 UTC.

I would really like to do a push to make a review and get our internal wiki publicly visible!

On the whole though, I think the org does a pretty good job putting out information about what we’re doing, and mostly the reality is people who aren’t volunteers are more interested in reading the latest fanfic and don’t really care until something happens that makes them sit up and go hey! And the really important thing is at that point to listen and respond productively.

Betsy Rosenblatt
Response received 19 October 2011 04:44 UTC. Added to document 19 October 2011 14:10 UTC.

First, I would encourage people to volunteer – but that doesn’t address the question, exactly. As a member of the Legal Committee, I’ve generally worked in favor of transparency by consulting on member inquiries about the organization’s policies and helping to resolve disputes when those policies haven’t been clear; but most of the transparency concerning the Legal Committee involves communicating with the membership (through the blog, newsletter, and such) about what we’re up to, so we can get member input. Overall, the Legal Committee’s interactions with the membership are largely inquiry-based, and it’s true that leads to a pretty low level of transparency. As for creating additional transparency, I think the key is providing windows into what the org is doing and opportunities for member dialog whenever possible – that can be achieved partly through the newsletter, blog, twitter, and the like. I am also a big fan of the Candidate chats and the committee open house chats that have been happening over the last few months, and would encourage regular open house chats featuring Board members as well.

Lucy Pearson
Response received 19 October 2011 14:07 UTC. Added to document 19 October 2011 14:18 UTC.

I have worked really hard at making the OTW more transparent via our Communications team, and I feel really proud of the degree to which I have been able to give insight into the work that has gone into the AO3 in particular (which is the main project I have worked on). I started posting about the Archive in the run-up to Open Beta, letting people know what we were doing and what they could expect from us. Since then, I’ve maintained a regular posting schedule on all aspects of the Archive, talking about the problems as well as the good stuff (for example, I recently did a post on the glut of 502 errors that was plaguing us). I’m especially proud of the work I did tweeting the progress of the new server installation, which let people outside the org get a sense of what was actually going on when the site had this long downtime. For the last two years, I’ve been writing the round-ups of AD&T meetings, building on the great work established by Maia, the AD&T chair before me – I think these are really important for giving a sense of what is going on behind the scenes. I’ve made a strong effort to include information about other teams involved on the Archive in those posts, both because I want the same transparency to apply to them, and because I think that some of the more ‘invisible’ teams, such as tag wranglers, deserve to be highlighted for the amazing efforts they put in. Including those ‘bitesized’ posts from committees who don’t necessarily have a lot of things they want to say is a really low-cost way of making sure their voices are still heard, so it’s something that I would like to explore across the org more generally.

I feel like I have also learnt a lot over the last two years about managing the time invested in communications, balancing the need to keep people informed with the need to keep some stuff private as we figure things out in house, and being responsive to questions and concerns coming from outside the org. I have found Twitter and support requests to the Archive invaluable for the last one; tellingly, support requests often stray beyond the specifics of the AO3, so I would like to establish a regular forum for inviting questions more generally. As a Board member, I would like to post regular updates about Board meetings in the same style as the AD&T updates; I feel that the experience I have gained doing that will be useful in figuring out how to convey the useful stuff while protecting the necessarily private aspects of Board.

Internally, I have also put a lot of work into talking with other committees, forming good relationships and keeping the channels of communication open; as chair I also emailed an internal summary of AD&T meetings to other committees who were affected. Good relationships are one of the key points for in-org transparency, and I think that I have established a good model for that.

I could go on and on about this, because letting people know about what is happening in the OTW is a real passion of mine. But I’ll stop here, and point you to the news posts on the Archive as a concrete example of what I have done so far and what I’d like to achieve for the org as a whole.

OTW 2011 Candidate Statements and Initial Candidate Chat Transcript

The first of our two OTW elections chats was held at 1900 UTC 17 October 2011. We’ve posted a transcript and screenshot for any OTW members or supporters who missed the event and would like to catch up. As we have six candidates for the four seats available in this election, an hour-long chat proved tight! We’ve asked the candidates to answer the questions that were introduced but that went unanswered, and we will post their responses within the next day.

We encourage you to submit questions via our elections webform for the second chat, which will be held 26 October 2011 from 8pm to 9pm UTC (What time is that where I live?) in the OTW public chatroom, accessible at this link: https://fanarchive.campfirenow.com/e79cc.

You can read the transcript or view the screenshot here, on the OTW Elections website.

Also now available are the candidates personal statements — you can read them on the OTW Elections website.

Transcript for Initial 2011 Candidate Chat

The following is a transcript of the OTW Board candidates’ chat held at 1900 UTC 17 October 2011. Current Board members Hele Braunstein, Ira Gladkova, and Allison Morris moderated the discussion; candidates Julia Beck, Naomi Novik, Lucy Pearson, Betsy Rosenblatt, Nikisha Sanders, and Jenny Scott-Thompson attended.

To view a screenshot of the chat itself, follow this link.

A highly edited version of the chat, including only questions and answers, can be viewed at this page.

Questions that were asked but unanswered during the chat due to time restrictions were delivered to the candidates via email, with a request that they respond within 24 hours, so the answers could be made public. Those responses can be viewed at this page. Answers submitted after the deadline will be added as they are received.

Lucy P.

Hello hello, all! 😀

Laura F.

Hi!

Enigel

hii

Elz

hi!

hele

hihi

Julia B.

Lucy, hi! or rather, hi everyone :>

Jenn Calaelen

Hi!

Betsy R.

hi all!

Julia B.

hey Betsy!

Lucy P.

Hi Betsy! 🙂

Agnieszka S.

*waves*

Betsy R.

I feel so greeted!

Jenny S-T

hi!

Julia B.

*g* so many RL names in one place *impressed*

Enigel

:feels very ninja:

Lucy P.

Hi Sanders!

sanders

hi, lucy! hi, everyone else!

Betsy R.

hello!

Agnieszka S.

hi 🙂

Julia B.

(eee, Saba!)

Saba

hello 🙂

Julia B.

Anyone know who’s supposed to moderate?

Lucy P.

Hi! *waves at recent arrivals*

Tiyire

Hi 🙂

Mary C.

Evening all!

Lucy P.

I’m not sure, no

Betsy R.

I think Ira will moderate, according to the notice for the chat.

Julia B.

okay, gives me time to warm my fingers (literally :D)

hele

let me see

Enigel

(*commiserates with Julia*)

Julia B.

(cold at your place too?)

Betsy R.

I always say, cold fingers, warm heart.

Enigel

(mine have just begun to warm up, after the ingestion of a lot of cake)

Agnieszka S.

please tell me there’s still time to make tea

Enigel

(cake warms the heart too! :D)

Lucy P.

I think there’s time, Agniesczka!

Julia B.

just do it 🙂

Lucy P.

Since the mod and one of the candidates are not here yet 🙂

Naomi N.

hihi

Betsy R.

hi Naomi!

Lucy P.

Hi Naomi!

sanders

hi, naomi.

Naomi N.

(I may have to pop in and out once baby wakes up so will beg you in advance to forgive me if I answer questions late) *waves hi to all :D*

Julia B.

hey hey!

hele

ok

sanders

*glomps julia*

hele

guys, I think the host is delayed

Naomi N.

so hey, should we just get started? maybe hele could mod?

hele

so you will forgive me if I wing it

Julia B.

(aw, hey you.)

hele

right. I was about to say

Lucy P.

Sounds good to me! 😀

Naomi N.

*\o/*

hele

so, hi!

Lucy P.

*admires hele’s pretty wings*

hele

welcome to candidates chat. so, uhm, questions! does anyone have any questions for our awesome candidates? type something short so that we know to wait for you if your question is on the longer side

Elz

sure!

Julia B.

Ira!

Lucy P.

Hi Ira!

Elz

a difficult one: why do you want to be on the board? 🙂

Lucy P.

Heee

Ira G.

(hello all, sorry to be so very late; I’m still on leave but am here to help the wonderful hele)

Julia B.

mmh 🙂 v. good question.

Mary C.

since the candidate statements aren’t up yet, how about a brief explanation of what each candidate will aim for with the OTW?

sanders

hang on. can we agree to an order for answering? and a way to avoid a pile up of questions?

Elz

yeah, maybe short intros should go first

Betsy R.

I think we’re all typing feverishly…

Ira G.

hele and I will make sure the questions are looked at one at a time
to help avoid a pileup, please do type a quick message letting everyone know you’re working on an answer

Jenny S-T

shall we all just post our statements in here to start?

Betsy R.

Good idea, Jenny.

Saba

yeah, i’d like short intros, too. i don’t even know how many candidates there are /o\ *most clueless*

Naomi N.

(working, second pasting statements in)

Lucy P.

My statement might be a bit wall o’text

Betsy R.

Betsy Rosenblatt is a law professor at Whittier Law School. Her teaching and scholarship focus on intellectual property law, and she is the director of the school’s Center for Intellectual Property Law. Before joining academia, Betsy graduated from Harvard Law School and spent nearly a decade as an intellectual property and entertainment litigator.

Betsy was “born into” fandom, in a way, as both of her parents are dedicated Sherlockians—and, deep in her parents’ basement, there are photos of her as a baby in a deerstalker cap to prove it. More recently, she’s been involved not only in Sherlockiana, but also in a wide range of TV, film, and anime fandoms, as a creator, beta reader, and appreciator of fanworks.

Having served on the Legal Committee of the OTW since January 2010, Betsy has enjoyed responding to legal inquiries from fans and helping the OTW craft its policies. She looks forward to being the “resident lawyer” on the Board as well as being involved in all other aspects of the OTW. She is proud to be part of the OTW and is eager to advance the organization’s missions of providing an inclusive community for the diverse and interrelated worlds of fandom, a high-qua

Lucy P.

*sheepish face*

Jenny S-T

Jenny Scott-Thompson is a IT consultant, lifelong fan, and advocate for sustainability and diversity of the OTW. Jenny works for a major international firm and has several years of experience in systems implementation and technology projects. She lives in the UK and studied maths at the University of Cambridge. She volunteered for Dreamwidth before and during Open Beta, during which time she acquired first-hand awareness of diversity and accessibility issues. She’s been a fan ever since she learnt to read, with a range of book, TV, film, and RPF fandoms.

Jenny will use her time on the Board to advocate for the sustainability of the OTW, transparency, accessibility, and diversity of all types, but particularly international and fannish sub-culture diversity. For the past two years, Jenny has served the OTW in many capacities, first on the Volunteers & Recruiting committee (VolCom) and then on the Accessibility, Design & Technology committee (AD&T), and has performed a mix of coding, testing, support, tag wrangling, design and training tasks.

She values the OTW’s whole mission and range of projects, including legal advocacy, Transformative Works and Cultures, Vidding and Fanlore, b

Naomi N.

Naomi Novik is the New York Times-bestselling author of the award-winning Temeraire historical fantasy series, and a founding member of the Organization for Transformative Works. She has been active in online fandom since 1994, publishing stories and vids in more than forty-nine fandoms and founding several fan-run institutions: a multiuser online role-playing game begun in 1995, a vidding convention begun in 2002, and an annual cross-fandom story exchange begun in 2003. She created the open-source Automated Archive software used by many fanfic archives and has been one of the senior architects of the Archive of Our Own since it began.

She is running for the Board after a year off to have a baby (Evidence! \o/) to finish seeing the Archive through to the shining grail of the 1.0 release, and to provide a technical voice on the Board across various other OTW projects. She has spent the past year in the organization coding madly on various major Archive tools including tag sets and nominations, to give challenge moderators more control over the tags used in their signups while reducing the burden of work on tag wranglers, and a revamp of the archive css and html and skins design int

Lucy P.

Lucy Pearson has worked on the Archive of Our Own from the first code commits through to the present day. As 2010 chair of AD&T she saw the AO3 through its first full year of Open Beta, during which the number of users and fanworks on the site trebled! She helped establish the Support Committee, which she still serves on, and supported the Tag Wrangling Committee through its transition from subcommittee to full committee.

Lucy also does double duty on the Communications committee, keeping users informed about the Archive’s progress: you’ve probably seen her posts about AO3 progress and AD&T meetings on the OTW blog and communities, and her regular tweets on the @AO3org Twitter account she started. She loves giving fans an insight into what goes on behind the scenes and is excited about the idea of bringing those skills to the Board.

Lucy is Lecturer in Children’s Literature at Newcastle University, UK, so it’s appropriate that she stumbled into fandom via Harry Potter (and never looked back). She works closely with archives and special collections, and is passionate about preserving fanworks and ensuring they remain accessible for the future.

As a Board member, Lucy would brin

sanders

In three decades, Sanders has been a zine maker, slam poet, Anthropology and Sociology student, author of a thesis on gender representation among queer women, activist for AIDS awareness and education and union rights, nonprofit fundraiser, avid Little League supporter, and fanfic writer. She’s lived in Louisville, London, Albuquerque, and Richmond (the one in Indiana, not Virginia). She’s traveled to Amsterdam and throughout Ireland, spent absurd amounts of time in Brooklyn, Seattle, DC, and in online chat rooms, and made a home in southern Indiana. She’s dabbled in procedural fandoms, become a committed Browncoat, stood in line for more midnight showings of the Rocky Horror Picture Show than she can count, and written over a million words of drawer fic with her Mac-obsessed iWife.

For the past three years, Sanders has been an active member of OTW’s Finance Committee, chiefly responsible for the shark-related puns in the committee newsletter. She has also helped produce the organization’s annual report, ensured compliance with state and federal filings, developed meeting agendas, and taken charge of drafting policies and procedures for organizational budgeting. Additionally,

Julia B.

Julia Beck is a fan from Germany. She is studying for a degree in media and communication studies and works as a communications and quality supervisor in customer support. Although her fannish origins can be traced back to a childhood spent re-reading The Lord of the Rings, her initiation into organised fandom was sparked by Zetsuai: Bronze and German yaoi fandom, from which she moved into international media fandom. Most of all, she identifies as a hardcore RPG gamer: when she’s not lamenting the state of the “Tales of” series, she’s worshipping at the altar of Jennifer Hale.

She cut her volunteering teeth by co-founding her university radio programme, but was enticed away by the emergence of the OTW. She has served on the Translation committee since 2008 and founded International Outreach (IO) in 2010. Managing translation volunteers made her highly sensitive to issues of volunteer motivation and recruitment, and IO’s role as a cultural advisor to other committees helped her develop a more comprehensive perspective on the OTW.

Julia’s priority is to help increase the OTW’s diversity and accessibility to fandom, broadly conceived. She knows from her own experience how it fee

Ira G.

awesome, thank you all so much!

Julia B.

(I beat everyone in the tl;dr department.)

Naomi N.

(Lucy, haha Oxford comma)

Zebra

There aren’t enough seat to vote in everybody I want to vote in

Julia B.

wow, we have a shared platform already (loves Oxford commas)

Lucy P.

Heee *unites*

hele

(That Oxford comma thing was tricky to translate *eyes*. Though I love it too.)

Ira G.

while everyone digests the awesomeness, just a quick note — please do note when you’re done with a long or multi-part message

allison m.

🙂

hele

allison!!

Ira G.

(hi allison!)

Julia B.

oha! the MC!

Betsy R.

I am right there with you on the oxford comma!

allison m.

(hi! sorry! car trouble!)

Lucy P.

(Sorry translators, you know ILU) Hi!

allison m.

(but i’m only barely necessary, here!)

hele

(we love you back! Just for the record)

Jenny S-T

So is the next question why we want to be on the Board? What order are we going in, or do we all type at once?

Agnieszka S.

I hate Oxford comma. I never know where to put it when I’m translating

Lucy P.

Let’s all type away and then just yell when we’re ready to go

allison m.

hahaha

Lucy P.

And let that determine the order

hele

that would work!

allison m.

good call

hele

(we don’t have it in Spanish. But now I’m tempted to put it in. Every time.)

Taz

Hello!

hele

anyway *cedes host seat to rightful owner* 😛

Lucy P.

Hi Taz!

hele

hi!

Enigel

(the Oxford comma goes against everything I’ve been taught as dogma in school 🙁 )

Mary C.

new question: what specific, concrete things does each candidate intend to work on while on the Board, and which of those will be their main focus?

Taz

I’m old enough to have to talk myself out of it.

Betsy R.

I’m ready with the “why” question

Jenny S-T

me too

allison m.

go ahead, betsy. then jenny 🙂

Betsy R.

I want to be on the board primarily because I believe every board should contain a lawyer – particularly when the organization includes in its mission legal advocacy. I am also looking forward to taking a greater role in all of the OTW’s projects, but since my professional specialty is law, I see that as the unique niche I bring to the board. More generally, I want to be a board member because I believe that transformative works make the world a better place!

allison m.

and after mary’s q, i have one that was submitted via email.

Jenny S-T

I want to be on the Board to help the OTW in more ways than I can at the moment. The main things the board do are to get the bigger picture – taking a step back and thinking about a broader view than any one committee can. Part of my day job and my skills are around being able to see potential process improvements and get ideas for things we could do better. On the board, I can spot more of those and know which are worth pursuing and which would lose us more than we’d gain.

For me, the main thing I see at the moment is to work for sustainability, which is our biggest challenge as an organisation. After four years, we’ve got going, achieved some great things, and we now need to think about the long term – not just fire-fighting, but setting ourselves up well for the future. That means we need to facilitate better cross-committee communication, given how much the org has now grown, and we need better people management and care for our volunteers. A lot of people have been burned out by OTW work where they haven’t had proper support, and have had to leave the org as a result. That needs to stop, as much as possible.

And, of course, I want to support all the great work we’re already

*wall of text*

sanders

next on why? my answer is short: I’m running for the board for several reasons; primarily to be in a better position to help ensure the financial viability of all of OTW’s projects and the organization as a whole in the long term; to help bring stronger nonprofit management skills to the upper levels of the organization; to provide perspective from a fan of color.

Naomi N.

(can go next when Sanders is done)

allison m.

(k)

sanders

i’m done.

allison m.

go ahead, naomi!

Julia B.

(can go next after N!)

allison m.

(k)

Naomi N.

So my main reason for running is, I started this whole crazy enterprise off with a call to build an archive of our own, and I feel a commitment to see that project through to a 1.0 release. And I think it’s really important for the archive project to have a senior technical voice on the Board.

via_ostiense

question for betsy — since we have an independent legal committee that works on legal strategies and advocacy (e.g. the dmca exceptions), what unique advantage is there to having a lawyer on Board that Legal doesn’t already provide? also, Legal Chair has access to board discussions and can serve as advisor as necessary

Betsy R.

should I answer that right away?

Naomi N.

I also agree that the org is moving into an important new phase where we’re past the first surge of excitement and growth, and now we need to keep people in the org having fun, and bringing new people in. Our forward-facing projects, particularly the archive, have gotten big enough that we want to start thinking about creating obvious pathways for people to come into the org through those projects, and how we can facilitate that — the upcoming Support Board is an example, but we want to creatively think about how to create openings from that and other routes that lead naturally into the org.

allison m.

(wait until we’re through the round please, betsy) (time to type)

Naomi N.

and (sorry I just realized I need to articulate this a tiny bit more so typing quickly) I do think that internally we’ve over the last few years built up an org-wide toolbox that is at this point full of a lot of things — Basecamp, Campfire (the chat system we’re in right now), our secure vault, our own srevers, our internal wiki, our rented servers, etc you get the idea and that like any toolbox over time the toolbox gets cluttered and then you’ve got the ten things at the bottom you never use mixed up with the one thing you forgot about that is actually really useful and so on

allison m.

(we’re getting a pile up of questions, so if the next answers to this q can get ready, that would be awesome)

Naomi N.

and so I think an upcoming challenge for the new Board will be to sort through our toolbox of not just software but procedures and try and identify where we could improve. and done!

neery

quick question: is there a log of things that have already been said? i came in late and don’t want to re-ask questions that have been asked already.

Julia B.

(should I go ahead?)

Lucy P.

(neery, so far just just introduced ourselves, and now we’re running through why we want to be on Board) *we just (So you didn’t miss too much :D)

Julia B.

(ok, going ahead recklessly) Meddling, in a way 🙂 I want the mandate to go in and help, where I can, and make connections, because I have a pretty good understanding of what works between the committees, and what doesn’t, from “working my way up” as a total no-name fan and volunteer first (I understand feeling powerless, in a way? And I want to help change that.) So I’m very concerned with volunteer motivation, and making the volunteering experience better, because without volunteers, there’s no org.

But I also want to shape policies, and the direction of the org – I want us to be a radical truly panfandom experiment, which includes international fans, and that requires some transformation on our part, I think.

I also want the OTW to be a platform that helps fans realize their projects, but that’s a long-term goal tied to volunteer recruitment & retention, so we gotta fix that first.

(like the recent fan delicious idea? that sort of thing.) /done

Ira G.

thanks, Julia!

Lucy P.

(Shall I go next?)

Ira G.

please do!

Lucy P.

I’m passionate about the OTW and the things it can achieve, so I feel a huge sense of excitement at the prospect of extending my involvement further. However, I did think long and hard about running for Board, because it is both a big commitment and a major responsibility. I had given a lot of thought this year to what I would like to see on the Board, and I felt that one of the things that was important was for it to include people who had a long-standing relationship with the org, had experience of being committee chair, and had a good existing knowledge of how the OTW works across different committees. And then I realised that, um, as someone who’s been kicking around for a long time now, I pretty much fulfilled those criteria. So, I felt that if that was what I was going to ask for in Board members, I should be prepared to walk the walk and put myself forward! I feel that I have really gained a lot from being involved in the org and being mentored by previous Board members, and I am committed to paying that forward and mentoring the next generation of OTW staffers.
(done)

Julia B.

oh, well said, Lucy. can I please nab that for myself?

Ira G.

excellent! thank you everyone <3 as we have some people still coming in and a pile-up of questions, I'd like to put out the list of questions in the queue, so everyone can get their answers ready and we can move along all orderly-like =) we've covered:

– intros/statements

– why run for Board

and as a reminder, transcripts will be available soon after the chats, so if you missed any answers, you can peruse them at your leisure — and remember there’s a second chat as well!

Taz

Thank you

Ira G.

coming up next, the questions we have queued in order:

allison m.

(i am cutting off question submission for now, anything submitted past this point will be asked next time)

Ira G.

– what specific, concrete things does each candidate intend to work on while on the Board, and which of those will be their main focus?

– (question from email) How do you see Fanlore growing, and what do you see as your role in furthering that growth both in terms of scope but also in terms of increased fannish participation?

Julia B.

strategic planning –aaaah

Ira G.

and, pardon! my apologies

Julia B.

(/warms fingers some more, dies)

Ira G.

there was also a specific question for Betsy

Julia B.

(idek where that came from, not my answer, even.)

Ira G.

Betsy, if you’d be so kind — could you answer that one while everyone prepares for the other questions?

Naomi N.

(in and out because baby up)

Ira G.

we also have one more general question

Betsy R.

happy to.

Lucy P.

(Once Betsy is done, I think I am ready to go with my next answer)

Betsy R.

To answer via_ostiense’s question: The org needs both a legal committee and a board with its eye on legal issues – partly so that the org can move on a dime in instructing the legal committee. We have committees for everything the org does, but we still have a board for larger steering matters. I’m on the independent legal committee, and while we do very well dealing with individual inquiries, I think we can feel like we’re a bit isolated sometimes. In the past, the chair of the Legal Committee (Rebecca Tushnet) has been on the board, and I think that has brought a sense of continuity to the relationship between the board and the organization’s advocacy mission. Otherwise we’d be two different organizations – one for web content and another for advocacy. I want us to be one organization that does both, and although I know it’s a lot of commitment, I want to be the bridge between those things.

Ira G.

and another from email. phew!

allison m.

and now from all: what specific, concrete things does each candidate intend to work on while on the Board, and which of those will be their main focus? fire at will, please.

Lucy P.

OK, going! I have two main aims for my time on Board. My first commitment is to helping support and mentor staffers as the OTW grows and changes, helping people gather experience and skills in ways that benefit both the org as a whole and them personally. In the past we’ve suffered from people burning out, and I think that combating that is one of the major challenges for the Board going forward. One of the things which has helped me NOT burn out was having a dedicated and supportive Board liaison, and having supported several new chairs in the past I think I have some good skills in that area.

This feeds into my second aim, which is that I want to build on the great work we have already done establishing the OTW as a ‘tool’ for fandom – that is, that we are a great resource and a great example for fandom as a whole. I believe that we can’t do absolutely everything that could be done in fandom (even though I would love to!); in fact, it wouldn’t be good for fandom to have one monolith org doing everything. What we CAN do is enable fans to pursue the projects they want to pursue – a good example of that is the recent fannish bookmarking project, which our AD&T chairs advised on and which lots of OTW staffers are contributing to. I think that already, we are an example other fans look to and say ‘we could do something big, look how the OTW established their projects’. Looking forward, I’d like to build our profile even more, so that a fannish group in Iceland, say, might want to start their own zine preservation project, and we would be able to help advise and facilitate that. I think that looking to the future, positioning the OTW as a tool is really important, because there are many practical limits to how much we can do as an individual org, but there are NO limits to what fandom as a whole can do if they have the flagship example and the support. I feel that communications will be a key part of that strategy – getting the word out about who we are and what we can do – and after nearly three years of developing communications about the AO3, that is a skill that I know I can bring to the Board. 😀
If we as individuals try to do too much we’ll implode, and if we as an org try to do too much we’ll also implode, but we can create a community where all the small things add up to something amazing! (done)

sanders

ready. Clarifying the budgeting process and means by which we provide financial reports to our membership, and putting into place a strategic plan for the next three years at minimum are two of my priorities. I have almost two decades worth of nonprofit experience to bring to bear on both of those, and my overall goal is to internally strengthen the organization and provide greater accountability both internally and externally.

I also want to put into a place a clear structure for mentoring and committee turnover, as well as the ways we make use of our communications tools.
done.

allison m.

others, please?

Betsy R.

I’m ready- I plan to work on maintaining and growing the organization’s position as a public voice for transformative works. So much of what we have done has been internal to fandom: the OTW has done a great job of creating a comfortable space for creators of fanworks, and is improving on that all the time. I want to do everything I can to help with that. I share many of the candidates’ interests in keeping the organization sustainable, technically smooth, and inclusive, and I see myself as a “utility player” in that regard. But as a matter of central focus, I want the Board to have its eye on legal advocacy risks and opportunities, and I am particularly interested in bringing that to the table. I am also interested in growing the organization’s profile outside fandom, maintaining our alliances with other advocacy organizations, scholars, and the like, so that we are not lonely voices for our organizational agenda.

Julia B.

(I can go next)

Jenny S-T

I’m ready

Julia B.

(ok, go Jenny)

Jenny S-T

Specific, concrete things: I want to help Volunteers & Recruiting committee get the Code of Conduct finalised. I want to document the general role of a chair and role of a committee member – things like when you’re expected to communicate with your chair, board liaison, etc. and what comes under which committee’s area, so people are less likely to tread on each other’s toes by accident. I want to make sure we get more training, not just on doing your day-to-day job, but also on management skills, such as the personality types session that Kristen is doing next month.

I also have a ton of ideas related to fanart, vidding, and the AO3 that I’d like to do, as well as transparency, diversity and accessibility, but won’t bore you all with now – I’ll post a list on my journal later if you’re interested. My main focus would be sustainability of the organisation, by making sure we work efficiently and care for our people. /done

Naomi N.

going quick while baby lets me since I think it is open: From a pragmatic perspective, my number one aim is to have a productive and effective Board, where we facilitate the work of the org without getting in the way — there are a lot of different projects and priorities and for the health of the org we need Board to be a place where those priorities can get worked out in a collaborative way, where we can be a team that comes together and works through the conflicts created by the limits on our resources, both human and otherwise.

Betsy R.

I agree with Naomi!

sanders

That’s a great answer, Jenny, with some very specific tasks that we can realistically accomplish.

Betsy R.

(about the Board process, that is)

Naomi N.

and personally I’m obvs deeply involved in the archive project but I figure you all know that 😀

allison m.

done? Julia?

Julia B.

ok!

Internally: pretty much what Lucy said: take better care of our people, and help them grow, which includes evaluating tools and processes and adapting them accordingly. This sound v. beareaucratic, but it’s really vital. We need to be healthy as an organization, and that includes giving our volunteers places to voice criticism. I want to help maintain an open, critical, but respectful atmosphere inside OTW. (I hold myself to that.) (Like the internal forums that I advocated for, but that’s just one step.)

Externally: working on outreach – that’s been a major criticism in the past, but it’s really tricky to get right. We absolutely won’t barge into a community and preach the OTW’s gospel, no way. My committee (Internationalization & Outreach) is laying the groundwork for more strategic outreach now with our community survey (coming to a weblink near you v. soon!), and I and I hope this will, well, fertilize the discourse on outreach internally and spill over into actual measures next term. /done

Jenny S-T

Naomi – any concrete steps within that, or how do you plan to achieve it? (probably for next time, since the deadline for questions is gone)

Lucy P.

Can I add, actually?

allison m.

(yes, answer that next time, pls)

sanders

I second Jenny’s question, for both Naomi and Betsy.

allison m.

yes lucy. hmmm. you know what – we’re finishing this question, all the rest are pushed to intro of next time. that way we get time for live questions next time, too

Julia B.

yeah, it’d be great if ppl could poke at our answers, ask for clarifications?

allison m.

so! anyone who hasn’t answered, please do

Naomi N.

I’ll write more on my lj, Jenny, sanders, how about that, for now baby is at limits of patience and needs to be fed 🙂

allison m.

and please expand on these

Naomi N.

so I must vanish<3

allison m.

i am going to ask you all to submit answers to the qs already asked but unanswered

Jenny S-T

can we get the email questions sent to the candidates via email, maybe, and we can answer them before next time? sounds great, thanks, Naomi 🙂

Julia B.

(all the candidate’s journals as here, btw: http://elections.transformativeworks.org/o…)

Betsy R.

I second Jenny’s suggestion about getting questions ahead — it might make things faster.

Elz

thanks for the answers, everybody!

Mary C.

thanks for answering my questions, everyone, looking forward to reading more 🙂

Julia B.

(candidates’, actually. Have In answered ALL the questions? *anxious*)

allison m.

and they will be posted with the transcripts

Lucy P.

Quick add-on to my last answer! One of the things that is important to me in terms of the aims I stated is creating an agile org, where people have a lot of autonomy and freedom within committees and yet they feel supported and we have an overall strategy. I think one of the ways of achieving that is to set out some clear goals and modes of interaction at the start, but then to maintain a light hand as Board and allow the committees to do their awesome work. Which they do 🙂

sanders

and can we agree to point people with questions to the elections site? as well as to keep our answers for the chat, not post them to our journals?

allison m.

yes, please finish the answers for this q! yeah, please do

Lucy P.

Works for me

allison m.

this is the official elections chat

Jenny S-T

yes, that sounds great, Lucy

allison m.

and we’ll be putting the answers all up together. thank you candidates!

Betsy R.

That sounds great, Allison, thanks!

Lucy P.

Thank you everyone!

allison m.

ira or i will be sending you the questions we didn’t hit yet

Lucy P.

*smooshes other lovely candidates*

allison m.

including the followups

Julia B.

so much interesting stuff to digest! *smooshes right back*

hele

when’s the next one?

allison m.

if attendees have other questions, please submit them!

Saba

thank you, candidates! 😀

Ira G.

thank you, all!

allison m.

followup or standalone

Betsy R.

our pleasure!

Laura F.

Thank you! :wants to vote for all of you now…:

allison m.

http://elections.transformativeworks.org/contact

Natacha G.

thank you, candidates! 🙂

Julia B.

thanks for attending and asking awesome questions 🙂

Saba

yeah, I was just thinking that I will never be able to decide now…

Jenn Calaelen

Question for the moderators (or someone): would it be possible to have put somewhere information about which of the people currently on the board are remaining on and what their backgrounds are? Thanks for all the answers – a lot to think about 🙂

Betsy R.

Good idea, Jenn C.

Julia B.

Jenn, there already is: well, in a way — http://transformativeworks.org/about/people

Lucy P.

We could definitely post a little round-up. It would be nice to have all this info in one place!

Betsy R.

Thanks to everyone for coming — I have to run — see you all next week!

Jenn Calaelen

that page doesn’t seem to say who is coming off this year?

Julia B.

(translating the website = you all the info), plus contrasted with —

Elz

yeah, it’s Francesca, Ira and Kristen staying on, IIRC

Julia B.

yep

Jenny S-T

I have to run, too

allison m.

it will all go up on the elections site

Jenny S-T

see you next week

Julia B.

(you *have all the info, geez.) See ya, Betsy!

allison m.

never fear!

Jenn Calaelen

thank you 🙂

Lucy P.

And thanks for chairing, Ira!

allison m.

jenn, i know you’re gone, but we have all the historical candidate statements on the elections site as well, and the current statements will be up tonight

OTW 2011 Board Candidate Chats Scheduled

We have now scheduled two one-hour chats with the candidates, open to all of our members and to the public. They will be held in the OTW public chatroom, accessible at this link: https://fanarchive.campfirenow.com/e79cc

While we strove to vary the times and days to allow better global accessibility for our membership, combining six schedules in order to allow all candidates to attend posed a challenge. If you believe you may be unable to attend but have questions for the candidates, we encourage you to submit them via our contact form to our elections officer, Ira Gladkova, who will present them on your behalf. Transcripts of elections chats will be made available as both text and as screenshots on the elections website shortly following each event.

The dates and times of the chats are as follows:

The candidates’ personal statements will be available on the OTW Elections website beginning 17 October 2011. You may in the meantime feel free to contact our candidates unofficially to discuss the OTW and their views. They have asked the OTW to make available the following personal journal accounts:

Links are behind text to reduce random googleability and to keep fannish and legal identities separate. We ask that you please do not associate those identities publicly.

Election voting will run from noon UTC on 16 November (What time is that where I live?) to noon UTC on 18 November (What time is that where I live?). Voting is restricted to current OTW members; this includes anyone who has made a donation of US$10 or more between 1 October 2010 and 17 October 2011. To renew your membership, visit http://transformativeworks.org/how-you-can-help/support.

Further information can be found on the OTW Election website.

OTW 2011 Board Candidates and Election News

The OTW is happy to announce that we have six highly qualified candidates who have stepped forward to fill four seats open on the Board this year, as we bid a grateful farewell to two members of the Board who have reached the end of their three-year terms, Rachel Barenblat and Sheila Lane, and to two members who have chosen to tender their resignations effective at the close of this year, citing personal reasons: Hele Braunstein and Allison Morris.

In alphabetical order by family name, our candidates are: Julia Beck, Naomi Novik, Lucy Pearson, Betsy Rosenblatt, Nikisha Sanders, and Jenny Scott-Thompson. Their personal statements will be available on the OTW Elections website beginning 17 October 2011.

We are currently working to schedule two one-hour chats with the candidates, open to all of our members and to the public. They will be held in the OTW public chatroom, accessible at this link: https://fanarchive.campfirenow.com/e79cc

The dates of the candidate chats will be announced as soon as they are confirmed. If you believe you may be unable to attend but have questions for the candidates, we encourage you to submit them via our contact form to our elections officer, Ira Gladkova, who will present them on your behalf. Transcripts of elections chats will be made available as both text and as screenshots on the elections website, shortly following each event.

Election voting will run from noon UTC on 16 November (What time is that where I live?) to noon UTC on 18 November (What time is that where I live?). Voting is restricted to current OTW members; this includes anyone who has made a donation of US$10 or more between 1 October 2010 and 17 October 2011. To renew your membership, visit http://transformativeworks.org/how-you-can-help/support.

Further information can be found on the OTW Election website.